Creating a new Salesforce user for CommuniGator
In this article, you will set up user permissions in Salesforce Enterprise profile, and create a CommuniGator-Salesforce integration account.
What’s in this article?
Note: A Salesforce Administrator must complete these steps.
Create a New Profile
Note: All setup options are all available from the Setup menu. The way you access the Setup menu depends on which Salesforce experience you’re using and your organistion’s user interface settings.
1. Click Setup
- If you are using Lightning Experience, click the grey cog icon at the top toolbar, then select Setup Home from the dropdown.
- If you are using Salesforce Classic, you will see Setup in the user interface header.
- If you don't see the Setup in the header then click your name and select Setup.
2. Type 'Profiles' into the Quick Find/Search option. Then click on the profiles link.
3. Select 'New' from the Profiles section.
4. Select 'Standard User', name the profile 'CommuniGator API User' and click 'Save'.
Set Profile Permissions
1. Click 'Edit' to set the security permissions.
2. Under the 'Administrative Permissions' section, make sure the following boxes are checked:
- API Enabled
- Edit HTML Templates
- Manage Public Documents
- Manage Public Classic Email Templates.
3. Under the 'General User Permissions' section, make sure the following boxes are ticked:
- Convert Leads
- Edit Events
- Edit Tasks
4. Under the 'Standard Object Permissions' section, make sure the Read, Create, Edit & Delete permissions are checked for:
5. Under the 'Custom Object Permissions' section, make sure Read, Create, Edit & Delete permissions are checked for:
- CommuniGator Results
- Website Hits
- Website Visitors
6. Check that the 'User Password expire in' box is set to 'Never Expires'.
Make sure to Save before exiting.
Edit Page Layouts for Contacts & Leads
1. In setup, navigate to Customise -> Contacts -> Page Layouts. Then select 'Edit'.
You can also have custom layouts, so be aware of which layout is appropriate for you.
2. The following page will load. Click on 'Related Lists' and drag it to the bottom of the page.
3. Click on the spanner icon to edit the related list.
4. Remove CommResultID from the right-hand side
5. Add the fields shown below in the order shown and sort by 'Date-Descending'
6. Now save the page layout. You will receive a warning about making changes to the page layout. Select Yes and repeat the process for Leads.
Edit a Page Layout for Campaigns
1. Navigate to Customise -> Campaigns -> Page Layouts and select edit on the page.
2. Click on Buttons and drag 'Send to Communigator' to the custom buttons area
3. When the button has been added to the page layout click on 'Related Lists' and drag CommuniGator Results to the bottom of the page as before.
4. Click the spanner to edit the related list and remove CommResultID from the right hand side as before.
5. Add from the available field to the selected fields as shown below. Click 'Ok' and 'Save'.
Set Field Level Security
1. Navigate to Setup -> Customise -> Contacts ->Fields
2. Click on 'Email Opt Out'
3. Click on 'Set Field-Level Security'
4. Ensure 'Visible' is checked/ticked for all profiles, and repeat the above for Leads.
Create Salesforce/CommuniGator Sync User Account
Note: It is recommended to create a dedicated Salesforce account (e.g. email@example.com) to distinguish the changes made by CommuniGator versus other Salesforce users in your org. When doing this we recommend you add your account to the email system or alias the address to a group within the email system.
1. From Setup, enter Users in the Quick Find box, then select Users.
2. Add a new user.
3. Fill out the required fields.
Then, select the User License: Salesforce and the Profile that you previously created.
Click Save when you’re done.
Retrieve User Security Token
1. Log into Salesforce with the CommuniGator API User you just created. Click the users name then My Settings.
2. Click on 'My Personal Information' to expand the list.
3. Click on 'Reset My Security Token
4. A new security token will be sent by email associated with the Salesforce user.